The poll started off asking whether I or anyone in my family worked for a news organization. Then I answered questions about who I would support in the general election and how I felt about George Bush and Congress. Then the pollster (a chirpy-voiced young lady) settled down for a good ten minutes about the Courtney-Simmons race. She first asked who I was thinking of voting for in the election. I am leaning Courtney (haven't quite made up my mind), so I said as much.
She then said that she was going to read me a number of statements about Joe Courtney. I then learned that Joe Courtney is a filthy, tax-raising, San-Francisco-liberal supporting, pedophile assisting, casino enabling, Canada loving jerk.
Some of the questions were (and these are paraphrases):
- Joe Courtney has promised to appoint San Francisco liberal Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, and enable liberal "tax-and-spend" Democrats who wanted to "cut and run from Iraq" to control Congress;
- Joe Courtney, as a member of the General Assembly, has voted to raise taxes about a zillion times;
- Joe Courtney wants us to have a health care system like Canada's, where "the wait for surgery is 17 weeks" and "one out of every four tax dollars goes to health care;"
- Joe Courtney voted to waive a law requiring sex offenders to register somewhere;
- Joe Courtney voted to waive work requirements for welfare mothers who cross town lines;
- Joe Courtney voted to support the casinos, which was made to sound very, very evil.
Did these make me more or less likely to vote for him? I was asked after every question.
At the end of the poll, I was asked whether I would be voting for Courtney or Simmons.
"Definitely Courtney," I replied.
Update: Here's more information about "Call Research," which apparently is a company called "Venture Data." A call has been left with them seeking comment.