Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Looking For a Little Help

Over the past sixteen months, this site has grown beyond even my wildest expectations. It's taken me to places I never thought I'd be, and given me the chance to interact with political people from all over Connecticut. But even a good site can be made better, and I'm always trying to think of ways to do just that, especially as the elections draw nearer.

This line of thought has brought me to the conclusion that I've taken Connecticut Local Politics as far as I can by myself. I've recently started a new and more demanding job as a reference librarian, and I'm finding that I don't have as much time to spend on the site as I used to. Keeping up is starting to wear me thin, and it's showing in the quality (and crankiness) of my writing. I've been missing things lately, and I feel a step behind. That bothers me.

Couple that with the fact that more and more political stories are happening all the time, and it becomes more obvious to me that I can't continue to do this alone, much as I would like to.

I owe it to the people who read this site to try and make it the best site it can be. So, with that in mind, I'm now opening a search for at least two, possibly four, other team members of this blog. A team member would be able to make "front page" posts like this one, and would be expected to do so at least three times a week, preferably more. Team members would post original reporting as well as commentary, analysis and research. I'm hoping that we could do a lot of original reporting from events all over the state this summer and fall: starting with the conventions.

I'm looking for a diversity of opinions, so I'd like to have at least one person from the left, and one from the right. I will keep posting from my perch atop the fence. If enough qualified candidates are interested, two from each side is also a possibility, as is another moderate.

I'd like for team members to be people who have posted here for a while, and have demonstrated not only good writing skills but courtesy and thoughtfulness. If this describes you, and you're interested in joining the team, email me with your username and political orientation. I encourage anyone who's even remotely interested and has some time on their hands to apply!

Email me at jeenaone (at) Gmail (dot) com.

4 comments:

Genghis Conn said...

I have no idea. I spend about an hour or two a day working on the site--maybe more, depending on what I'm writing about. It probably wouldn't be the same for everyone.

I suppose the best answer is "as much or as little as you think you can spare." Without it driving you nuts.

Genghis Conn said...

No ads! And Porko wasn't actually a guest poster: I just reprinted some of his stuff, and then he came into the comment section all by himself. Such a big fuss for what turned out to be nothing at all...

I actually did put out a call for submissions before the elections last year (I think it was in September) and no one responded! So I've been hesitant to do that again.

Come on, regular posters! Email me! I promise it won't eat your life too much.

ctkeith said...

I'd nominate Quinn For the guy from the right but I'm sure Boot camp at Paris Island is going to demand his full attention after he finishes this Semester at that Maker of men Institution,Connecticut College.

Right Reverend Republican said...

Those services covered are a burdeon to the many other services already covered by insurance carriers.

Birth control is certainly an elective rider that allows members to do what they want whenever they want with sex / abortion, etc. depending on their whim. Having sex without producing a child (contraception, abortion, etc) could be allowed by some insurance carriers and dropped by others to keep the larger picture costs down. Yet, these are required to be covered by law.

These procedures are a stark difference to the EMERGENCY and necessary life-sustaining procedures necessary to prolong life: ER visits, surgery, cancer treatments, physical therapy and rehab, convalescent care. There's no way to avoid these services if we need them. No one checks into a rehab facility just because they're bored one day.

Elective procedures like the above electives should be classified like elective surgery - facelifts, augmentation etc., that wouldn't be covered by insurance.

DeStefano made a good decision, possibly reaching out or at least hearing some of the recent complaints made by Catholics. And a good business decision for the Insurance Capital