Here are a couple of my own predictions, for what it's worth:
- Gov. Rell will end 2007 with significantly lower popularity than she currently enjoys.
- The legislature will pass some sort of universal health care plan in the waning hours of the 2007 session. It will be nothing like Rell's proposal.
- Rob Simmons will announce that he's running again for Congress.
- A primary between two no-name Republicans will start shaping up in the 5th District.
- The most interesting mayoral race will be in Waterbury, again.
- Republicans will make small but significant gains in municipal elections.
- The legislature will not override a single veto of Rell's.
- Joe Lieberman will make himself as big a pain in the ass as possible for everyone.
- American troops will begin leaving Iraq by next December.
- Chris Dodd will withdraw from the presidential race late in the year.
- The race for the Democratic nomination will shape up as a battle between Obama and Edwards. Hillary Clinton will be a distant third.
- The Republican field will be a contest between McCain and someone who is acting as the anti-McCain: maybe Gingrich or possibly Romney.
- Michael Bloomberg will run for president as an independent candidate. Joe Lieberman will publicly support him, and probably end up as his running mate.
So what are your predictions?