Friday, February 10, 2006

Rowland On the Loose!

It's February 10th. Do you know where your former governors are?

Former Gov. John G. Rowland, the once popular three-term governor who was driven from office by scandal, was released from a federal prison camp Friday after serving more than 10 months on a corruption charge.

Rowland, 48, was released at 5:20 a.m. from Loretto Federal Correctional Institution in western Pennsylvania, said Ruth Bracken, a prison spokeswoman.

He has three days to report to Connecticut probation officers, who will fit him with an electronic ankle bracelet and place him under house arrest for four months. He also must perform 300 hours of community service. (AP)

In the meantime, Ernest Newton is still staring at five years. Huh.

Rowland isn't done, yet--I'm sure of it. He is apparently a reformed Christian, now, and has been rumored to be working on some sort of horrible book about his experiences. I have a strange feeling that he'll try to run for public office again, someday--or at least get his own TV show.

For now, if you see him picking up trash in parks, be sure to tell him about campaign finance reform, civil unions, and an 74% approval rating for his successor. That should be fun.

Source

"Former Connecticut governor released from federal prison." Associated Press 10 February, 2006.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From yesterday on DF picking on the guy who wants to one day join the mailitary - and if he wants to be a soldier but likes the navy I'd suggest he consider the US Marines is this proposal from Chris Shays to increase the age eleigiblity so maybe DF's guiy could finally serve and then maybe when he'd learn not to shoot his mouth off before aiming.

Anonymous said...

G.C.: besides my lousy English in the above because I thought I hit preview and not Publish I guess I should have said the front page of today's CT Post in addition to my link. I spent a lot of time in the library in H.S. and college and know about footnotes and references but thought I was OK in the blogage. I guess not based on your next post today. I'll try to do better in the future, if I remember how as I am getting old.

Genghis Conn said...

Copyright law for blogs is a really mushy area. A link is usually fine, but a reference is much better--just to help us find things later.

Interesting proposal, too. I keep wondering if it's ever going to come to a draft...

ctblogger said...

If Rowland is mowing grass as part of his community service, I'm going to get someone to read his wife's X-mas poem to the press with a megaphone and videotape his reaction.

Him only getting one year in jail (while Newton is slapped with five year) is a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

We don't need a draft but we do need a better foreign policy to get our armed services back to where they should be. The military is reaching out for specific talents up to age 35 or 40 (some limit like that) in the Reserves and Officer Corps - medicine and enginering to be specific - so this would not be about foot soldiers.

Anonymous said...

ctblogger: it was the luck (or political plan) of the draw of judges that got Rowland an easy ride. As for Ernie justice is blind and often deaf but not necessarily fair.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. Ernie Newton should be let of prison because of Rowland's term. WHAT? What kind of nonsense is that-- Newton and Rowland deserved to serve time--

Now we are going to have sentancing guidelines set on this blog? Silly.