Sunday, March 06, 2005

Naugatuck Democratic Primary Monday

This will be a race I'll be sad to see end.

That is, unless it continues.

I've devoted an awful lot of space to the Curt Bosco vs. Peter Jurzynski mayoral primary in Naugatuck this Monday. I have no idea why. I don't live in Naugatuck, I don't even live near Naugatuck, and I really think I've only been there twice in my life.

So why am I covering it? Well, this is a traditionally slow period for elections, since it's the winter after a presidential/congressional/general assembly election cycle, so Naugatuck is most of what's going on. Also, one of the main reasons I started this blog was to create a resource for local elections (note the maps ---->). I picked this one up because it is the only primary I know of in the May election cycle.

But really, I cover Bosco vs. Jurzynski simply for the fun of it. They are such an odd pair. I've talked about them in previous entries ("It's Getting Dirty" and "Old Crank Seeks Old Crank Vote", so I don't feel the need to re-introduce them here. What matters is that if Bosco loses, he's out of the race. If he wins, however, Jurzynski is still on the May ballot as a petitioning candidate. So at least we won't have seen the last of this, uh, colorful character.

There are two articles today on the Waterbury Republican-American's horrific website about the two candidates, so go read them if you want to know more. The journalist who writes most of the Naugatuck stories really seems to enjoy poking holes in Jurzynski's statements, so the articles about him have consistently been enjoyable.

Really, though, this is evidence of why local politics is fun and interesting. I look forward to posting the results Tuesday.

No comments: