Thursday, November 02, 2006

CGG's 2006 Endorsements

The Senate Race: Why Integrity Matters
I supported Ned Lamont in the primary because he was a breath of fresh air. He framed the debates about domestic and international issues with hope and optimism rather than fear. He also did the legwork. Joe couldn't be bothered to campaign until ten days before the primary, but Lamont was all over Connecticut talking to frustrated Democrats about what was wrong and how we could make it right again. He wasn't a polished candidate who talked in soundbites, but a human being who wanted to make a difference. I was proud to cast my vote for him.

Post-primary I'm still voting for Lamont, but for completely different reasons. It comes down to integrity. I've followed the Senate campaign closely as a voter, a blogger , and a Democrat. Joe Lieberman sinks to a new low almost every day. He chose to ignore the decision of his own party, his positions have changed with the wind, and he's never missed an opportunity to slam anyone who might disagree with him for any reason. There's also the $387,561 in petty cash, which remains unaccounted for. All Lieberman will say is that legally he isn't obligated to turn over the journals. What he won't say is that he doesn't have the integrity to do so.

Joe Lieberman has turned this campaign into a disgusting display of politics at it's worst. Perhaps for the first time we've seen his true colors. The good news is that we've also seen real courage in this campaign. A man named Ned Lamont didn't like what he saw in Joe Lieberman and decided put his money where his mouth was. Throughout this race Lamont has shown himself to be a man of courage and integrity. For that reason I endorse Ned Lamont for Senate.

Big Ideas and Thoughtful Action
John DeStefano is a candidate who speaks to my heart as a progressive. His ideas are as ambitious as his personality is large. As Governor Mayor DeStefano would be in a position to make property tax reform a reality by freezing property taxes for seniors and cutting them for the middle class. He will fight for pay equity, a moral minimum wage, and a woman's right to choose.

Looking to the future Connecticut needs a Governor that understands the issues facing our state. Our transportation system is outdated, our energy prices soaring, and our currenthealth care system is dysfunctional. DeStefano understands what needs to be done and has presented several innovative solutions. I endorse John DeStefano and Mary Glassman for Governor and Lt. Governor respectively.

Take Back the House
For the first time since 1994 Democrats have the opportunity to take back with house. With three competitive house races Connecticut will play a leadership role in this effort. It's time to bring checks and balances back to Washington DC, and that starts with sending Diane Farrell, Chris Murphy, Joe Courtney, Rosa DeLauro, and John Larson to Congress.

In my own district Democrat Diane Farrell is challenging Incumbent Chris Shays. Electing Farrell helps Democrats take back the house, but I also want to recognize her strength as a candidate. A former First Selectwoman in Wesport Diane Farrell has a keen understanding of the needs of the 4th district. Diane Farrell knows Connecticut's homeland and port security needs, and will fight to make sure Connecticut is not ignored. Her desire to serve on the transportation committee shows a commitment to solving Fairfield County's growing infrastructure problems. Diane Farrell will stand strong on human rights both home and abroad, and help the Democrats demand oversight and change in Iraq. I am proud to endorse Farrell, and her fellow Democrats for U.S. Congress.

18 comments:

bluecoat said...

Nice call cgg as a Fairfielder I agree with your picks but for different logic - and it took me a while to get here.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your honesty. But you haven't made clear how one-party rule is OK for CT but not DC and the nation.

Joe Scordato said...

Anon 5:36

More competent people in CT than the current crowd of Republicans in DC.

Anonymous said...

If I were Murphy I wouldnt be measuring the drapes just yet. Not a good day for boy Chris - first he gets caught storming Jarjura's office and threatening his chief of staff with political payback if Jarjura doesnt endorse him and then his clef palate ad is featured this morning on NBC Today Show and named the nastiest negative ad IN THE COUNTRY...not an easy thing to do this year.

Anonymous said...

Since Farrell is not in my district, I don't know a thing about her so I cannot comment. I am uncomfortable with Courtney, and from experience I cannot agree with Murphy at all.

I would be happy to support DeStefeno if I could understand how we could afford all his ideas given we are already taxed to death in this state. With the General Assembly and the Governorship firmly in democratic control, I simply fear huge tax increases with little to show for them.

In my mind the comments about Lieberman and Lamont are perfect. I totally agree. It took me a while to realize my thinking was becoming less based on just how much I find Lieberman unacceptable, but more and more based on how I am gaining respect as well as comfort with Lamnot.

I am an independent voter who generally leans a bit toward republican. Still I cannot in good conscious vote for Lieberman. I thank Lamont for forcing Lieberman to show his true colors. If it truly is time for a change in my opinion he is by far the most obvious change to make.

GMR said...

John DeStefano is a candidate who speaks to my heart as a progressive. His ideas are as ambitious as his personality is large. As Governor Mayor DeStefano would be in a position to make property tax reform a reality by freezing property taxes for seniors and cutting them for the middle class. He will fight for pay equity, a moral minimum wage, and a woman's right to choose.

JDS' property tax reform doesn't address spending. So presumably, it would just result in a shift of taxes from one group to another. If Seniors pay less in taxes, youn families have to pay more. Also, I have a huge problem with freezing anyone's property tax: it is what Proposition 13 did in Calfornia, and it's led to massive distortions in the real estate market there (I'm a Republican, and while Prop 13 is enthusiastically endorsed by almost every Republican, this is one issue I disagree with). If you freeze property taxes (but then reassess when the property is sold), you can have two identical properties with massively different tax rates. In California right now, you've got identical houses next door to each other, but one house will be taxed 10 or 20 times higher than the other house.

The pay equity thing of JDS sounds nice, until you realize that it is nothing but a complete market distortion. Wages are set by the market, but in JDS's world, with this event, they'd essentially be set by fiat from someone in Hartford. It is completely insane if you evaluate the economics of it. Right now, if a profession has a "shortage", more people will enter than profession. But in this pay equity scheme, that won't necessarily happen.

Moral minimum wage? How many people over 21 make minimum wage in Connecticut, not counting waiters or waitresses? How many of them speak English? I understand the arguments against the minimum wage as a market distortion, but in the end, I just don't think that that many people earn the minimum wage who aren't teenagers or immigrants who don't speak English (and thus are precluded from doing many jobs).

Finally, the woman's right to choose. Are abortion rights threatened in Connecticut? I mean, are there more than about 10 state house candidates that favor more restrictions on abortion?

Now, I'm against JDS because I just think that some of his economic planks are completely ridiculous. But I also don't get the people who think Rell is some great governor. She doesn't seem to have any vision at all. She's no Mitt Romney (but then, Romney has several ivy league degrees, and was a very successful businessman before taking office).

Anonymous said...

time to get the dem back into house and sen. as for weither joe or ned are closer from what i've seen in signs in three area towns there are more signs for ned. best of luck to all the dems and you can count on my vote as well as many others i've spoken to who are looking for change and are looking for leadership to stand up to fed and local gov issues

Shadow said...

cgg - Dead right on Lamont and the Farrell, well written...

But one thing... DeStefano has a "large" personality? If that were true, he'd be winning, not trailing by over twenty points; he clearly is better on the issues than Rell, yet people find him personally less appealing. Keep in mind I voted for DeStefano over Malloy in the primary; I'm just being honest here.

Rell is going to be coronated against the wishes of people like you and I, so if all we have is a protest vote, all I can say to people like us is make your protest vote speak your voice. I'm voting for Cliff Thornton for many of the same reasons I'm voting for Ned Lamont: he's progressive on issues, owes favors to no one, is fiscally sensible, and he's clean as a whistle on ethics. DeStefano only meets one of those criteria. If we as progressive moderates didn't have to settle for Lieberman, why do we have to settle for DeStefano?

CC said...

I am voting for Nancy Johnson, but I am shocked that people OVERWHELMINGLY consider the "cleft palate" ad the nastiest IN THE COUNTRY. (The ad has been voted the nastiest by more than 50% of the nearly 5,000 responders on The Today Show's website.) Is it really the nastiest in the country???

Anonymous said...

Oh, right. Only CT has competent people. And they just happen to be Democrat.

Anonymous said...

When was the last time a mayor was elected governor in CT? What does the Mayor of New Haven have to offer Litchfield County?

Genghis Conn said...

Morgan Bulkeley, mayor of Hartford, was elected governor in 1888.

That's the last time a sitting mayor was elected governor. It's rare.

cgg said...

Shadow, DeStefano does 'speak my voice'. Of all the candidates running for office this cycle he's my personal favorite. I've watched him grow as a candidate over the past two years and it's been an impressive ride. JDS is the kind of Democrat I want to see more of in our party. Win or lose I'm proud to support him.

Shadow said...

cgg - My comment was directed, as I said, to "people like you and I" who don't want to rubber stamp Rell, not you personally; it has been clear your dedication to DeStefano has been genuine and not a pragmatic calculation.

My words were intended for soft DeStefano voters, of whom there are a LOT; to be fair, though, there are FAR more soft Rell voters.

Wolcottboy said...

Anonymous 6:34 said...

If I were Murphy I wouldnt be measuring the drapes just yet. Not a good day for boy Chris - first he gets caught storming Jarjura's office and threatening his chief of staff with political payback if Jarjura doesnt endorse him and then his clef palate ad is featured this morning on NBC Today Show and named the nastiest negative ad IN THE COUNTRY...not an easy thing to do this year.


Sounds true, however the way that article was written begs some questions. It was written as if itself was a rumor- and expanded upon rather than the Rep-Am waiting to include it on a Monday morning Brass Tacks note. Oddly, the Rep-Am also actually have local election coverage today. I saw the 3rd or 4th article on the open 72nd seat and a 2nd article (besides the usual profiles) on the 80th. Yet, the distancing between Jarjura and Murphy shouldn't be surprising. Murphy probably had to ask for directions to City Hall after neglecting it for 4 years.

Anonymous said...

Smurph is not a bad person. He's just a career politician itching to get to the next level before what he did or didn't do catches up to him.

bluecoat said...

DeStefano has done a horrible job articulating how he would lower the cost of government. However, he does have a plan to do it.

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:32,

Good comment.....I wish more people were aware of the fiscal mess this state is really in. From grossly underfunded pensions, to bond debt, horrible job market, out of control spending....The list just goes on and on.

Very true!!! Get out while the getting is good!!!!

One really needs to ask themselves if anyone from either party who for so many years has been associated with that mess, will bring positive, or negative change to Washington?