Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Republican Profile: Mike Fedele

Over the past month, much speculation has centered around who each candidate for Governor will have as his/her runningmate. With the selections made, we have all had an opportunity to digest the picks and drama surrounding some of them. In my hunble opinion, Dan Malloy made a good choice in Mary Glassman, while John DeStefano did not in picking Scott Slifka.

What about Governor Rell? She ended weeks of speculation and announced former State Representative Michael Fedele as her running-mate.

He is featured in this editorial from the The Advocate

A lot of considerations typically go into a political decision like this one. Few people know exactly what Ms. Rell and her advisers were thinking when they asked Mr. Fedele to come along for what is sure to be a very memorable campaign...

...

Some speculated that Ms. Rell looked toward southwestern Connecticut for a running mate to blunt the effect should Mr. Malloy become the Democratic nominee. That is fodder for comment in itself. But there are smart political reasons to look for a partner here, no matter who the Democratic candidate is. Lower Fairfield County is rich in voters and in potential campaign contributors. A Stamford running mate gives Ms. Rell entrĂ‚Že to tremendous financial and human capital.

But Mr. Fedele brings more to the ticket. His is an immigrant's success story -- the kind that is told over and over in Stamford and should resonate with an awful lot of people on the campaign trail...

...

In Hartford, Mr. Fedele was a voice for business, and especially the concerns of the small-business owner. He was bringing experience to bear. His credentials should help Ms. Rell as she makes her pitch to business leaders on the campaign trail. The governor has said that one of her goals is to reduce business taxes and attract new businesses to the state. Mr. Fedele's presence should add heft to that effort.

His personal style also is very well suited for the Republican ticket this year. Unlike a typical politician, Mr. Fedele comes across as genuine and straightforward, much as Ms. Rell does. Even those who have opposed Mr. Fedele in past campaigns say he is a decent and honorable person. That quality is more and more rare in politics and could work to the Republicans' advantage, especially if the race is close and the politics turn nasty.

For these reasons and more, Ms. Rell has selected a fine running mate.


I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Fedele at the State Republican Convention. The first time, I was walking to the parking lot while he was walking to the building and we casually said hello and spoke of our excitement of the day, just merely in passing. In all honesty, I had no clue who he was. The next time, I was with a Rell campaign staffer in the back stage area and met him in his "ready room" before accepting the nomination for Lt. Governor. I realized that he looked familiar but it didn't click. When I was introduced, he said, "yes, we met earlier near the parking lot". Yes, we had...and of all the people he surely met that day, I was surprised that he, in Nancy Johnson fashion (Nancy never seems to forget someone she meets) remembered me. We spoke for a few moments and I was on my way. Of all the speechess on that very loooong day, Fedele's sticks out the most to me. He spoke of "the loaf of bread" we are given in life. As a youngster, he thought it was to eat but as he has grown, he has learned that it is to share. The more you share, the more you will get back and more importantly, the more you will get out of life. It was a telling story of a seemingly humble, intelligent man and a showing of what we should expect from him as Lt. Governor. This is a guy who gets "it".

This Advocate has it right on. Fedele is a tremendous asset to Rell and will be for the state once he is elected.

Source:
Editorial, "A Strong Partner in the Rell Campaign". Stamford Advocate, May 26, 2006

31 comments:

Mmmm Jodi Rell said...

Fedele love fest!

Genghis Conn said...

So is this a guy who you see running for governor in 2010?

Jabba the Hut said...

He reminds me of me when he talks.

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janet said...

I don't like him because of that mean spirited push-poll that the Republicans held in the state senate district that he was running for in 2002.

He claims to not have had a part in it, but I don't believe that one at all. Just because you let someone else pay for it doesn't mean that you didn't have a part in it.

To me, it sounds just like Jodi Rell whenever her routine statement of, "Oh, I didn't know that unethical scandal was happening in my office right underneith my nose" gets released.

disgruntled_republican said...

gc-

I'm not sure. I think it is a possibility. He has a great head on his shoulders and could. I really do think, as I said, he will be a great asset to the state when elected. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I wouldn't say either way at this point.

ALittleBitDramatic said...

That push poll was so wrong.
I forget - did they ever establish who was (formally) responsible?

GoBluefish said...

CT is truly in for a treat.

Rell/Fedele '06.

Janet said...

ALittleBitDramatic-

As far as I can remember, nobody ever took responsibility for it.

If memory serves me correctly, all Fedele said was that he didn't pay for it. I think it was generally assumed that the State Republican party were the ones who paid for it.

Does anyone know exactly?

bluecoat said...

McDonald - Fedele's opponent - said that he beleived Fedele had nothing to do with it and that is undoubtedly true. State Central - Rowland/Rell - did all the dirty work on this and I beleive they were responsible for the push poll conducted on behalf of Judi Freedman in westport too as I recall.

What is more intersting to me is how Fedele served as CEO of the Pinnacle Group national sales and marketing op while also being a state legislator - actually I know but the opposition needs to do their own research.

CTObserver said...

Actually, according to McDonald, Fedele "conducted himself in an honorable way. We had different opinions, but he was always respectful and I found him to be a decent person." The push poll was apparently done by the Senate Republicans, and again, according to McDonald, "Mike said he had no part in commissioning it and didn't authorize it. I have no basis to doubt that. I respect him. I'm glad I won, but I respect him." The whole story here .

ctkeith said...

BRING IT ON!!

If Fedele hasn't figured out thats something no Republican should ever even think of uttering,even under his breath,he's an ass.

disgruntled_republican said...

ctkeith-

You are the one being an ass. One has nothing to do with the other.

ctkeith said...

LOL,

So now W isn't the Head of the Republican Party?

You can run but you can't hide.

turfgrrl said...

bluecoat,

Hrmmm... I would guess that something had to give on that balancing act. But for the record, at least Fedele is not another lawyer/legislator, that has to be good for CT, right?

Dave Mooney said...

turfgrrl,

As an software engineer running for State Representative, I think you're on to something! (But, no need vote for Rell in order to send a non-lawyer to Hartford.)

BRubenstein said...

turfgirl...you win an award for asinine comment of the month when you are so dismissive of lawyers....some of the greatest politicians on both sides of the aisle were and are lawyers.

Most of the leading politicians from both sides of the aisle who are lawyers or not lawyers would disagree with you and many lawyers run campaigns,the parties and staff offices...you should be ashamed at your lack of knowledge and obvious anti-intellectual behavior.

turfgrrl said...

BRubenstein,
Is this not a lamentable thing that the skin of an innocent lamb should be made parchment? That parchment, being scribbled o’er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings, but I say ’tis the bee’s wax. For I did but seal once to a thing, and I was never mine own man since.—Henry VI, Part 2, Act 4, Scene 2

BRubenstein said...

Turfgrrl.....and your point is?

If someone lambasted YOUR profession would you still be quoteing Shakespeare?

turfgrrl said...

BRubenstein,

Why so defensive? You're not some bottom feeding personal injury lawyer.... oh wait.

bluecoat said...

Turffgrrrl: I make jokes about lawyers - including BR - but to suggest that personal injury lawyers are "bottom feeders" is ludicrous. There are a few bad actors - as in any profession - out there but not anywhere near the number the Chamber of Commerce would like you to think. For the most part, personl injurty lawyers improve things for society - unless you happen to drive a vintage Corvair or Pinto.

bluecoat said...

and turrfffy, just to add a little info; the candidiates you back have all taken money from these people who you call bottom feeders.

bluecoat said...

and of course, David Mooney knows that Malloy and JDS are both lawyers while Fedele does the software thing like him.

turfgrrl said...

bluecoat,

Then you should know that amongst lawyers, PI attorneys are often referred to as the bottom feeders, particularly during court sessions. But my snarky lawyer comments was directed at the law practice of BRubenstein, who objected to my off hand comment about having non lawyer/politicians as being a good thing.

bluecoat said...

some lawyers make good politicains and some don't. and some lawyers are snobs too.

Paul Vance said...

My wife likes the lawyer/politician combo, I guess I was lucky.

Paul Vance said...

As a side note, I think the banks that hold my student loan notes are the true bottom feeders if we were going to examine the food chain. ; )

bluecoat said...

that's why the GOP passed legislation changing what the lenders can and can't do with the college loans - but the Donkeys spun it as something bad - including you when you were running against Johnsaon months back.

Paul Vance said...

No bluecoat, I said specifically that voting to cut 13 billion dollars from student loan programs was a MISTAKE. I could be mistaken, but I believe that those cuts were either reduced or taken out of the budget, so I guess someone agreed with my assessment.

Paul Vance said...

But if you want to debate the issue, I think it is/was a mistake for Congress to raise interest rates on Stafford Loans. Helping college students pay for college should not be a partisan issue.

suntrust banking said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my suntrust banking site.
Good luck in your endeavors!